Current:Home > FinanceBlack men who were asked to leave a flight sue American Airlines, claiming racial discrimination -Capitatum
Black men who were asked to leave a flight sue American Airlines, claiming racial discrimination
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 20:33:30
NEW YORK (AP) — Black passengers who were briefly ordered off an American Airlines plane in January sued the airline Wednesday, alleging that they were victims of racial discrimination.
Three of the men filed a lawsuit in federal court in New York. They said they were told to leave a plane waiting to take off in Phoenix and noticed five other black men who also had been ordered off the flight.
The men said airline employees told them they were removed because of a complaint about body odor, which they said was false. The men said they complained about discrimination.
American offered to rebook them, but when it became clear after about an hour that there were no other available flights to New York that evening, they were allowed to reboard the plane, according to the lawsuit filed by Public Citizen, a consumer-advocacy group founded by Ralph Nader.
American said it was looking into the claims.
“We take all claims of discrimination very seriously and want our customers to have a positive experience when they choose to fly with us,” the airline said in a statement. “Our teams are currently investigating the matter, as the claims do not reflect our core values or our purpose of caring for people.”
In 2017, the NAACP warned Black travelers about flying on American, claiming that several African American passengers had experienced discrimination by the airline. American promised changes, and the civil-rights group later lifted the advisory.
veryGood! (5411)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Voting experts warn of ‘serious threats’ for 2024 from election equipment software breaches
- Six weeks before Iowa caucuses, DeSantis super PAC sees more personnel departures
- Families of 3 Black victims in fatal Florida Dollar General shooting plead for end to gun violence
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Adam Johnson Death: International Ice Hockey Federation Announces Safety Mandate After Tragedy
- Why Savannah Chrisley Hasn’t Visited Her Parents Todd and Julie in Prison in Weeks
- Video shows Alabama police officer using stun gun against handcuffed man
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- US makes offer to bring home jailed Americans Paul Whelan and Evan Gershkovich. Russia rejected it
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Roger Goodell says football will become a global sport in a decade
- Jonathan Majors' accuser Grace Jabbari testifies in assault trial
- Why Savannah Chrisley Hasn’t Visited Her Parents Todd and Julie in Prison in Weeks
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Poland’s former President Lech Walesa, 80, hospitalized with COVID-19
- Kylie Kelce Gives a Nod to Taylor Swift With Heartwarming Video of Daughters Wyatt and Bennett
- Treat Yo Elf: 60 Self-Care Gifts to Help You Get Through the Holidays & Beyond
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Tuohy family claims Michael Oher of The Blind Side tried to extort $15 million from them
Chrysler recalls 142,000 Ram vehicles: Here's which models are affected
St. Louis prosecutor who replaced progressive says he’s ‘enforcing the laws’ in first 6 months
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
RHOC Alum Alexis Bellino Is Dating Shannon Beador's Ex John Janssen
George Santos trolls Sen. Bob Menendez in Cameo paid for by Fetterman campaign
Senate confirms hundreds of military promotions after Tuberville drops hold